The Text tool provides options for working with text on the canvas. The Text tool accepts both typed and handwritten input, and supports text-to-speech features as well.
To use the text editor:
- Click the Text tool icon once to activate.
- Click the canvas area where the text is to be inserted.
- On the text editor window that opens, click the input area and start typing.
The text editor provides the following customization options:
- Font type and size - only fonts available on the current device can be used
- Text color and background
- Alignment and indentation
- Subscript and superscript
- Text-to-speech settings - only voices available on the current device can be used
- To resize the text editor window, click and drag the edges of the text editor window.
- Click to close the text editor.
To update the formatting at a later time, use the Select tool:
- To update the text contents, click twice on the text to open the text editor window again.
- To resize the text, click the text and drag the sides/corners to enlarge.
- To change the text color or background color of the text, click the text and use the adorning menu.
Click the Text Editor icon again to switch to handwriting mode. This mode enables handwriting recognition and converts handwritten letters and words on a touch-screen device to typed text.
- Using your fingers or a pen tool, write on the myViewBoard canvas.
- Click on the new icon that appears on the Floating Bar to convert your handwriting to text. If you click something else (like the Select tool), any handwriting input is discarded.
myViewBoard can read text aloud on the screen if the system has been configured to use text-to-speech (TTS):
- Use the Text tool to insert text on the canvas.
- On the Text tool toolbar, specify the voice to use and how fast the text is to be read.
- Highlight all or a section of text to read.
- Click on the following icon:
- myViewBoard reads the text using the specified voice.
To set the default voice, go to Settings. Users can select any of the voices already installed in the system.
Before using text-to-speech, verify that:
- Text-to-speech is enabled and your preferred voice is already installed
- The system's speakers are working correctly and are set at a safe volume
Users can also input text via dictation (voice input) if the system has been configured to use speech-to-text (STT):
- Click the Text tool, then click on an area of the canvas to insert text.
- Verify that the cursor is active on the writing area.
- If the hardware supports it, click the microphone icon on the on-screen keyboard.
- Start speaking / reading the text to insert.
- myViewBoard inserts the text on the canvas. Users might need to correct the text after the procedure.
Before using speech-to-text:
- Your system's Speech settings have been properly set up
- Verify that the system's microphone is working correctly.