Immersive Reader is a powerful text reader, developed to improve reading comprehension based on literary science. For those who struggle with reading, have additional accessibility requirements, or dyslexia, the Immersive Reader can support their reading development.
The Immersive Reader is included in Whiteboard (Windows, and online versions), and Classroom. Features and user interface are the same between platforms, although accessing Immersive Reader differs slightly.
Immersive Reader requires a Premium or Entity account with myViewBoard.
Open Immersive Reader
In Whiteboard for Windows
- Select the text tool and type on the canvas, or directly paste copied text onto the canvas (use Ctrl + V, or click the paste icon in the floating toolbar).
- In the Text editor menu that appears next to the text, select the Immersive Reader icon.
How to open Immersive Reader in Whiteboard for Android and Whiteboard for Windows.
In Whiteboard online and Classroom
- Select text on the canvas to bring up the object menu. If you have the text menu open, click out of it and select the text again (click once, as double clicking will change from object menu to text editor menu).
- Click Immersive Reader from the menu.
How to open Immersive Reader in Whiteboard online and Classroom.
Immersive Reader in Classroom and Whiteboard online will automatically play the selected text when opened. Immersive Reader in Whiteboard for Android and Windows won't automatically play the text, but otherwise there is no difference between the platforms.
- Play or pause speech by clicking the / icon at the bottom centre of the screen.
- Adjust speech speed and narrator gender by clicking the options icon next to the play/pause button.
- Exit Immersive Reader by clicking the back arrow at the top left of the page (Classroom and Whiteboard online), or by clicking the button at the bottom right (Whiteboard for Android and Windows).
Change the appearance of text and words
Click the letter icon to:
- Change text size
- Increase spacing between words and letters
- Change the font
- Change the theme (background and text color)
- Show/hide source formatting (if applicable)
In addition, click the book icon to toggle Line focus, which removes further removes distractions and helps the reader to stay focused on the current line, group of lines, or paragraph, depending on the setting selected.
Display word types and syllables info
Click the grammar options icon to:
- Show word syllables
- Color-highlight and/or label parts of the speech by word type, including:
Translate text and use picture dictionary
Immersive Reader supports translation of many languages. Translation can be done by word, or by whole document.
There is also a picture dictionary - click a word to display a cartoon image of what the word means. This doesn't support every word, but does support most common nouns. The picture dictionary is supported in multiple languages.