Classroom is an online and fully browser-based platform for delivering lessons. It is designed to be as easy as possible to learn, and to be similar to a traditional physical classroom. There is no software to install and students do not need to create an account. There is also built-in support for Google Classroom and cloud integration, to easily invite students and share lesson materials.
Classroom works in two browser tabs (windows) and while not necessary, it is recommended to use two screens. The first tab shows the digital whiteboard, or canvas. This is where lesson content is imported and edited. The second tab is a dashboard for viewing student information and the chat, group (huddle) work, whether the student is currently viewing the lesson, and whether students have requested speaking privileges to ask questions or share comments.
- Go to http://myviewboard.com and sign in with your myViewBoard account.
- On the main screen, click Classroom.
Digital whiteboard tools
For a printer-friendly overview of all Classroom icons and features, see Classroom Toolbar Icons.
The main toolbar contains most of the key tools to create and import lessons. It appears on the right side of the screen by default but can be dragged to either side of the screen.
Teachers have the following tools to create a lesson:
Create, share, import and export files.
Access cloud and local storage and other resources.
Select objects and pictures.
Draw freehand lines. Click again to open pen options.
Erase objects. Click again to open eraser options.
Add sticky notes with text.
Draw shapes with different styles.
Insert and format text.
Zoom the canvas.
Reverse the previous action.
Reverse the previous undo action.
Change the background of one or all pages.
Import and save lessons
Teachers can create a new lesson or import an existing lesson previously created into Classroom. Many filetypes are supported, so if you have existing lesson materials it is easy to open them in Classroom.
To import content from your device or cloud storage, use Magic Box (as outlined above). To save/export your lesson, use the File Manager icon in the main toolbar for the following options:
Note that the current canvas is discarded.
This lesson can then be loaded in future sessions.
Teachers can distribute the generated PDFs to their students.
Students will be able to see the QR code during the Classroom session and scan the QR code to download the PDF file.
Magic Box: tools for interactivity
Click the Magic Box icon on the main toolbar to access the following:
Drag and drop media from the above into the current canvas or different huddles from the Huddle overview menu
The current page number and total pages are displayed at the bottom centre of the screen.
- Click and to navigate across the canvas pages. The current page number is displayed over the total number of pages.
- Click the plus icon to add a new page.
Similarly, when in huddle overview, using the left and right arrows at the bottom of the page will move between all pages simultaneously for the teacher and all huddles, allowing a quick overview of all classwork in one place.
Click the page number to open an overview for all your pages.
- Click to copy (duplicate) the page.
- Click to duplicate the page and apply to one or all huddles.
- Click to delete a page.
- Click to add a new page.
- Click and drag to reorder pages. Note that reordering teacher pages will reorder pages for every huddle in the same way.
Clicking the Teacher icon (shown above, located in the bottom center of the Classroom screen) opens the Huddle overview. This is similar to the page overview, but allows you to change between viewing and editing the teacher canvas, or Huddle canvasses.
Use the arrow keys at the bottom of the screen to switch between pages for all teacher and huddles simultaneously, allowing a quick overview of all content at once.
Students do not need to create a myViewBoard account to participate in lessons. They can also access Classroom directly from a web browser and do not need to download any software.
Classroom supports up to 30 students per session.
To invite students:
- The Classroom host can click their ID in the top right corner of the screen to display their unique QR code, session ID, and URL.
- Students can scan the QR code with the Companion, or another QR code reader, and be redirected to join the Classroom session. This may be convenient if students are using mobile devices.
- Students can go to the URL shared by the teacher, for example
- Next, the student enters their name and the session password (if a password has been set by the teacher), and can join the Classroom session.
Importing students via Google Classroom
To import students via Google Classroom, the Google Classroom account must first be bound to the myViewBoard account. Do this in the Cloud Integration section of FollowMe settings at myviewboard.com.
Follow these steps next:
- In Classroom, click the gear icon at the top right of the screen. Under Cloud Integration click Bind next to Google class.
- In the pop-out window, follow the steps to link your Google Classroom to the myViewBoard Classroom. Make sure you sign in to the same Google account that you use for Google Classroom, and which has been bound to myViewBoard in the FollowMe Settings area (mentioned above).
- Finally, from the Cloud Integration section in Classroom settings, click the drop down arrow to select which Google Class to bind.
Allowing students to see the teacher as well as hear their voice helps with student engagement.
- First, click the streaming icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Click to begin sharing video from device camera/webcam. Click again to stop sharing video.
- Click to reopen video sharing.
- Click to begin sharing audio. Click again to stop.
- Click to reopen audio sharing.
- Minimize or Maximize the screen with this button
- To end audio and video sharing, click the stop button
Dashboard: Manage students
Classroom supports up to thirty students. The main browser tab (window) that is displayed after opening Classroom is for viewing and editing the canvas. The dashboard can be opened in another tab, which is specifically for viewing and managing students.
In a second tab teachers can view the dashboard, displaying class information.
Read more about Dashboard here.
Just as in a physical classroom, myViewBoard Classroom also allows for group discussions. The teacher can switch from the default discussion with the whole class into group discussions in each huddle.
- In the dashboard, first make sure you have set the number of huddles you want (1-30). Drag and drop students or click the shuffle button
- Click the the huddle discussion icon in the dashboard (above the video feed box).
- Set a timer for the discussion - when this runs out, all students will be brought back to the teacher's presentation. The timer can be extended once set by clicking it.
- Now that the huddle discussions have started, the teacher can join discussions by clicking the join discussion icon next to the huddle.
- Leave a huddle discussion by clicking the button again .
- Extension the huddle discussion by clicking the timer in the top right of the dashboard.
- End the discussion before the timer runs out by clicking the icon again.
Using video quizzes with Clips
myViewBoard Clips videos and quizzes can be added directly to CLassroom. Access Clips from the Magic Box. From here you can search videos, and see your existing playlists, collections, and quizzes. Click the Quiz icon to select which quiz for the selected video you wish to add.
To add a Clips quiz to your Classroom session:
Click to expand images
You can record your current session to allow students to review it at a later date. To record your session:
- Click the Record your screen button in the bottom left of the screen.
- If prompted, select the screen that contains the Classroom session and click Share.
- If prompted, grant browser access to your microphone and/or camera.
- Recording should begin immediately. The record icon should now be and flashing red to indicate recording. Most browsers will also display a dialogue box informing your screen is being shared, and a record icon in the tab title.
- Once the session is over, click the button again to stop recording.
- The browser pop up prompts to choose a save option. The session is saved as a WEBM video.
Note the following:
- Sessions may be recorded up to a maximum of one hour. After reaching the limit you may save the video and begin a new recording.
- Sessions are saved as WEBM videos. To open WEBM videos, you can advise your students to do one of the following:
Create a myViewBoard account
To get the most out of myViewBoard, users can create a free myViewBoard account at http://www.myviewboard.com.
Sign up with a Google, Microsoft, or Apple account, or a regular email address.
Having a myViewBoard account provides the following benefits:
- Host Classroom sessions
- Use FollowMe to maintain your personalized settings across devices and sessions
- Access to files stored in linked cloud storage services
- Use all the features of Whiteboard and other myViewBoard apps
First select from the top-right of the myViewBoard homepage.
On the next screen there are the following options to sign up:
Sign up with an existing Google, Apple or Microsoft account:
- Click one of the following:
- Sign in with Google
- Sign in with Microsoft
- Sign in with Apple
- On the next window, grant permission for myViewBoard to access the account.
Sign up using a regular email:
- On the myViewBoard sign up page, enter the following:
- Unique myViewBoard name
- Click Sign Up.
After successfully signing-up:
- An activation email will be sent to the account. Click the link in the activation email.
- After activation, sign in and set up the new myViewBoard account.
- On first sign in, myViewBoard.com prompts the user to update the user's Personal Profile and Account Name.
Integrate with cloud services
Your myViewBoard account and Classroom can be connected to third-party services for cloud storage and lesson management.
- Sign in to http://www.myViewBoard.com.
- Click your avatar, and select FollowMe from the drop down.
- Click Cloud Integration on the side panel.
- On the Cloud Integration screen, select the cloud storage account you want to bind.
- Sign in to your account and allow myViewBoard to access your account.
After binding, a new folder named myViewBoard is created at the root directory of your cloud storage account.