Text and Handwriting
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Type, edit, and format text on the Whiteboard canvas. This is available for Whiteboard for Windows, Whiteboard for Android, and Whiteboard for iOS although some features, such as handwriting-to-text, are only available on the Windows version.
How to use text editor
- Click the Text tool icon in the toolbar.
- Click the canvas and start typing.
The text editor provides the following customization options:
- Font type and size - only fonts available on the current device can be used
- Text color and background
- Alignment and indentation
- Bullet points
- Subscript and superscript
- Text-to-speech settings - only voices available on the current device can be used
To update the formatting at a later time, use the Select tool:
- To update the text contents, click twice on the text to open the text editor window again.
- To resize the text, click the text and drag the sides/corners to enlarge.
- To change the text color or background color of the text, click the text and use the adorning menu.
Click the Text Editor icon twice to switch to handwriting mode. This mode enables handwriting recognition and converts handwritten letters and words to typed text. The text icon will switch to the handwriting icon.
- Use your fingers or a touchscreen pen to write on the Whiteboard canvas.
- Click on the icon that appears in the Floating toolbar to convert your handwriting to text. If you click something else (like the Select tool), any handwriting input is discarded.
Using Handwriting recognition
Adjust the size of the converted text by setting the preferred font size prior to the handwriting process.
Whiteboard can read text aloud on the screen if the system has been configured to use text-to-speech (TTS).
To set the default voice, go to Settings .
- Use the Text tool to insert text on the canvas.
- On the Text tool toolbar, specify the voice to use and how fast the text is to be read.
- Highlight all or a section of text to read. Make sure your device speakers are set to a suitable volume.
- Click on the following icon:
- Whiteboard reads the text out loud using the chosen voice.
Before using text-to-speech, verify that:
- Text-to-speech is enabled and your preferred voice is already installed
- The system's speakers are working correctly and are set at a safe volume
- In Whiteboard, click the text tool and click on the canvas as normal.
- Next press Windows key + H to open dictation input.
- After Windows dictation loads, speak your sentence(s). Just like typing with a keyboard, this will enter text at the cursor.
Note: We recommend using the above method for dictation only. Windows also includes 'Windows Speech Recognition' but the accuracy with the above method is typically much higher.
Useful links (outside myViewBoard wiki):