Shapes and Lines
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Use the Shape_Line tool to insert 2D shapes, 3D shapes, lines and tables with different styles.
On the main toolbar, click the Shape Tool icon:
- Click once to activate and start using the last tool activated
- Click a second time to open the Shape Tool Menu
- Click a 3rd time to close the Shape Tool Menu
The Shape Tool menu provides options to customize the object before insertion.
- Open the Shape Tool menu.
- Select a color. Click the plus icon to choose more colors from the color palette.
- Adjust line thickness and transparency.
- Switch between 2D shapes, 3D shapes, lines and tables.
- Click on a shape. Once a shape is selected, the Shape Tool menu is hidden.
- To draw, click and drag to the preferred size. Measurement units are displayed while drawing.
Formatting Inserted Shapes/Lines
After insertion, inserted shapes/lines can be modified further:
- Click the Selection tool, then click and drag to move the shape across the canvas.
- To access additional actions, click on the shape once to show the adorning menu.
Select the shape you want, and draw it on the canvas.
Custom Shape Tool
The Custom Shape tool is also available from the 2D/3D Shapes tab.
- Click the custom shape tool.
- Draw (scribble) a custom shape or line on the canvas.
- If drawing a polygon, ensure that the drawn shape contains clearly defined angles.
- The shape appears on the canvas with blue dots appearing over the angles.
- Click and drag the blue dots to further customize the shape to your liking.
- When finished, click outside the shape. Note that the shape can no longer be customized after being deselected.
Create your own custom shape.
The Line Tool inserts lines, arrows, right angles and curves into the canvas.
- On the Shape Tool menu, select the line option, and click on a line type. Once a line type is selected, the Shape Tool menu is hidden.
- To draw, click and drag to the preferred size.
- To adjust, click and drag the blue dots.
- Straight lines: adjust the position of the end points
- Coordinates: adjust the length of the x and y axes separately
- Curves: adjust the position of end points and curvature
- Connecting lines: Locate at least two supported objects to connect. Blue dots will appear when you hover over supported objects. Shapes and images are usually supported.
Using a mouse:
- On the first object, hover over the object and click on a blue dot to start a connection. The tool selects the nearest blue dot as the first end point.
- Click and drag to the second object. The tool selects the nearest blue dot as the second end point. If the mouse was released with no successful connection, the line disappears.
Draw lines on the canvas.
Draw arrows on the canvas.
Connect your shapes with the Line - Arrow tool.
Connect your shapes with the Line - Dot tool.
Draw coordinates on the canvas.
The Table Tool inserts a table into the canvas.
- On the Shape Tool menu, select the table option.
- Move the mouse over the boxes to determine how many rows/columns to insert.
- Click to insert the table.
- The table can be resized and repositioned immediately after insertion.
Once a table is made, any object can be dragged into each cell. The table automatically resizes to fit the object.
To insert an object:
- Click the Selection tool.
- Click the object to insert.
- Click again and drag the object into the table. A red highlight appears on the cell where the object will be inserted. Objects inside a table cannot be resized/edited. To edit an object, drag the object outside the table.
More formatting options:
- To adjust the size of a table row or column, click and drag the row/column border to the preferred size. A cell can not be resized smaller than the size of the largest object inside.
- Click on the table once to show the adorning menu.
- To access additional actions, right-click and drag inside the cell to format. Once the cell is highlighted, the following options are available:
- To add or remove a full row or column, click one of the row or column icons and select an action.
- To merge cells, select multiple cells and click the merge icon.
- To unmerge, click the merge icon again.
- To color an individual cell, click the Paint bucket icon and select a color.
Draw tables on the canvas. You can insert objects inside the table cells afterwards.
Paint Bucket Tool
The Paint Bucket tool fills objects with a selected color.
- On the Shape Tool menu, select the Paint Bucket.
- Select the preferred color.
- click inside the object you want to fill.
Use the Paint Bucket tool to fill objects with a selected color.
Use the paint bucket tool to apply a fill color to the following:
- All basic shapes
- Table cells
- AI pen drawings
- Canvas background
- Closed figures created from hand-drawn lines
The Quick Selection feature allows users to quickly switch between options available for the active tool. To use:
- Click the Shape_Line tool. A set of three circles with options should appear on the side.
- The quick selection options changes depending on the current shape/line selected:
- Basic shapes (square, triangle, circle)
- 3D shapes (cube, sphere, pyramid)
- Lines (solid, arrow, dashed)
- Click on a selection circle to switch to that shape/line.
- To access other shapes, click the Shape/line icon on the main toolbar.
Note that quick selection options are available for all shape/lines except for the "Table" option.
The Quick Selection feature allows you to switch between different shapes and lines.