Classroom includes a dashboard for teachers to manage their class and view student information. This dashboard opens in a new browser tab or window, after opening Classroom itself.
Open Classroom dashboard
First, open Classroom.
Once Classroom is open, open dashboard by clicking the icon in the bottom right of the screen, or by clicking dashboard in the window (both highlighted red in the below image).
In the centre of the screen there is a video feed from the host webcam. Above this there are the huddles for group work, showing students in each huddle group.
- Click to switch between viewing the huddle canvas and the huddle student list.
- Click to allow/forbid Raise Hand for all students in the huddle.
- Click to allow/forbid editing of the huddle canvas for all members of that huddle.
Huddles: for group work
Huddles are groups for students. Each huddle has a canvas, with a page that corresponds to each teacher page - so everytime the teacher adds or deletes a page from the teacher canvas, the same action will be taken for the corresponding page in the student huddles.
The teacher can set the number of huddles, from one to thirty, in the dashboard (above the teacher videofeed). Use the drop-down menu or simply type the number of huddles required, and then click the shuffle button to randomly distribute students evenly between huddles.
By default, students cannot edit the huddle canvas. The teacher can toggle editing privileges for individual students, huddles, or the entire class, by clicking the icon next to the student, huddle, or in the bottom centre of the dashboard (for the entire class).
Raise Hand: for student questions
Just like in a physical classroom, a student can ask for help by raising their hand. The teacher will be able to see students that have raised hands from the dashboard, and can let them speak or choose to ignore it.
- Student clicks on their device.
- The teacher can see who has raised their hand from the dashboard in the second browser tab.
- The teacher can choose to ignore the student for now, enable speaking privileges for the student, or may use the chat function to speak with the student.
A student who has raised their hand for attention will appear in the dashboard with a yellow raised hand icon next to their avatar
Allow students to speak
The teacher can enable individual students, huddles, or the entire class to speak using their device microphones. The students also always retain the option to mute themselves.
- The teacher clicks next to the student, huddle, or entire class.
- The icon will change color to red, indicating speaking is enabled .
- Students may be prompted to enable their microphone by the browser.
- Students can then speak to the teacher and class.
- Students can mute themselves by clicking . The icon will change to red indicating microphone is muted.
- The teacher can disable speaking privileges by clicking again.
Classroom has a built in chat function, with a Public Chat for the whole class, and for each huddle. From the dashboard, click to open the chat menu. By default chat is not enabled, but can be enabled from the dashboard (see below image).
There is a chat for the whole class, and for each huddle. The teacher can view every chat, and there is no function for students to chat directly to other students one-to-one.